Sunday, August 17, 2014

Half Mad: Another 50 x 50 Stitches

Now I can see out of one eye, at least.

Another square(ish) completed on my Spanish eyes.


This project is insane. Truly insane. What the hell was I thinking? I know that making art requires sitting still, but I hadn't considered just how much sitting still a 6 x 14.5 inch cross stitch would take.

It measures 6 x 14.5 inches. 14 count Aida. 


As I mentioned before, this is my second cross stitch piece. My first design.

I've been binge watching Girls, spending hours alone, bent over the Aida, trying to recreate my own eyes. Rebuilding them, one pixel at a time, in 34 shades of DMC floss.

The colors of my face are tawny.

I feel half mad. I doubt myself.

Mostly, I stitch alone, at night.


I keep going. Hopeful that this will come together. (I may have other personality problems, but no one can accuse me of having a lack of hope!)

It feel like a metaphor for something larger.

6 comments:

  1. Whoa! Woman this is an incredible project and is so beautiful!!!! How on earth did you determine what colors to use?!? If you hand picked them I'm gonna faint...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just incredible. Go big or go home, right?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing your eyes looking back at you from the canvas must feel like you're doing magic. It certainly looks like you're working on something profoundly magical....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep on going, it's looking great! As you know I just finished a crazy project myself (though possibly a little less crazy than yours) and I think the trick is to just do little bits every day. In the Netherlands we have a saying that doesn't translate very well but I'm going to try anyway: "How do you eat a bicycle? Take a little bite every time" If that makes sense... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it will be amazing when it's done, but at the same time I think, what's the hurry? You have the rest of your life to finish it, so enjoy it as it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Think of the sense of accomplishment you will feel!

    ReplyDelete