Tuesday, May 20, 2014

50 by 50 Stitches on my Spanish eyes

A tiny section complete of my overly ambitious x stitch self portrait of my eyes. Tiny, but still, woot!


First 50 x 50 section completed.


I'm finding it helps to break this piece down into 50 x 50 stitch squares. Otherwise I'll go mad with longing to see it come together.

The long view: One tiny section on the path.

Which is strange. I've always been a "process" maker who loves to plan and slowly build a piece. In the face of a pressure-filled and busy time at my corporate day job, I find myself having a harder time transitioning into the slowed-down process time.

My work kit spread out on my sofa.

This frustrates me. I'm hoping that, by being conscious of this trend, I can be less tortured by it.


PA and PE, 1990. By Peter Alexander at the Getty.

Headed to LA this week. (2014 has been a wonderful travel year so far!) What I'm most excited by? Spending time with the lovely family we're visiting, exploring Joshua Tree National Park and my first ever Dodgers game. And the fascinating LA grid, which is beautifully interpreted by Peter Alexander in PA and PE.

Interpreting these eyes in stitch.
For now, back into the corporate salt mines, I go.

9 comments:

  1. Wow... This really is ambitious in the whole sense of slowing down and being in process mode...it's a lot of process! Breaking it into squares is smart, and I hope you're enjoying them as they are and not just as milestones. Because that first square is flat-out *sexy* .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go O Go!!! I know whatcha mean about transitioning from fast paced work environment to the calm of stitching! You are one step ahead by acknowledging it.

    Safe Journey - have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I respect you do not use a hoop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is looking amazing! You are super ambitious and it's going to be so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, O! This is going to be a big one! I love that it's a self portrait because you have gorgeous eyes and they deserve to be immortalized in stitch!

    Have a good ol' time in LA, sounds like you've got some great times planned!

    oxo,
    L

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's going to take a long time but will be sooooo worth it - the photo of your eyes is beautiful and it is going to be stunning in stitch

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire your fortitude -- there is a reason why my cross stitch patterns tend to be so small. When it is done you will have a fabulous and impressive piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So impressive. Can't wait to see it progress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all of your support and comments, folks! I may not say it often enough, but your comments really, really mean the world to me and keep me going when I feel adrift. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete