Thursday, March 20, 2014

Frabbit of the Fens

Say hello to my little friend.

Detail of Frabbit, 2014. Hand embroidery on layered watercolors.


Frabbit! I made him for Sarah Hennessy as part of the FFFoF Bestiary Swap that I organized for Mr X Stitch.


Frabbit in the sun.


He is a fishy rabbit. Or a rabbity fish. Frabbits have gills and can breath on land. Through the Middle Ages, Frabbits were thought to be mythical creatures, hidden away in the Fens of England.

The only recorded sighting of a frabbit was in 1745, in Lincolnshire, England, at the estate of Lord Lupino.



Based on a drawing from Lady Thomasin in 1745.


No one knows how Lupino managed to capture a male and female pair. The locals whispered about dark arts. What is known is that Lord Lupino's black-eyed daughter, Thomasin, sketched several studies of the furry, scaly beasts, before she mysteriously disappeared, along with the Frabbits, into the Fens.


Frabbit, 2014.


My Frabbit is based on Thomasin's drawings of the male Frabbit. She called him Fabian.


Hennesseflorium Swirlanicus, 2013.  Hand embroidery by
Sarah Hennessey.


Frabbit's new owner, Sarah, is a wonderful, inventive embroidery artist. I remember falling in love with "Hennesseflorium Swirlanicus," her studies of fantasy plants. Her etsy shop is filled with her clean, fresh, swirling designs.


Frabbit of the Fens.



Frabbit is a layered watercolor, stitched piece. Sarah reports that she likes him. I am SO relieved.


WIP: My cross stitched eyes. Slow going and huge.


Next up: More stitching on my giant, cross stitched eyes.

Coming soon: Wait to you see the amazing beast that I received from Rebecca as my part of the swap!

No comments:

Post a Comment