Thursday, May 3, 2012

Do Not Flake On Me (Pretty Please) WIP

Working (ever so slowly) on a new "Do Not" embroidery. 

I like to sit on my bed and stitch.

This is a created design, not an actual, real life "Prohibited" symbol. I combined the classic red prohibition symbol -- rendered in the red, glossy, thick, brick-like back stitch that I love -- with a slick snowflake design that I found and altered from an out-of-print Japanese graphics book given to me by my fiber arts friend, Naomi, who we call "yarn whisperer." 


Little Hans, 2011. An altered prohibition sign.
 (It is actually a call to wear a face mask in the lab, but I changed it into a riot cop siluette.)


I like altering and changing the meaning of hazard symbols. I also like stitching them as is.


All in six-strand DMC 321 and 310 on white Kona cotton.


This is for the Phat Quarter Swap on the MrXStitch. The theme of the swap was Spring. And as I was sketching for this piece it kind of morphed into something new... a warning symbol NOT to flake on me. I'm done with flakey people.


Detail of brick back stitch. 

The piece is for talented Lisa, who promised not to look at my blog while this is a WIP so that she can have a surprise when it arrives at her little studio in Northern California.

Now, off to the corporate salt mines.

5 comments:

  1. I love what you stitch! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this design! I like that you're now making your own warning signs :>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Becky & Janalyn! Stitching cures the blues...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do adore your stitching...I just want to stroke those luscious red stitches...sorry if tht sounds wrong and creepy! :D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi -- how could I take any comment from you about my stitching in the wrong way! Thank you!!

      Delete