Thursday, April 5, 2012

Sweetie darling & 70s retro mashup

Going through a 1970s nostalgia phase. Spirographs, Twister, Barry Gibbs' tight white pants and sexy Jesus mane... and woodgrain fabric. Can't get enough of woodgrain fabric.


I like the knot under the "i."


Made my girl Keefie this little "sweetie darling" hooped action on some precious woodgrain cotton.

"Sweetie darling" comes from Absolutely Fabulous. Back in the 2000s, Keefie and I drank vodka gimlets and fought off the boys together. And we loved those ill-behaved English women, Patsy and Edina, from AbFab. We were each other's sweetie darlings.


The stars are star stitch. Convenient.


A 1970s image involving Keefie... her family being evacuated from Tehran when the Shah was overthrown. I envision helicopters taking off at twilight, filled with tanned, bell-bottomed Americans in 22k gold jewelry.  And for some reason, in my fantasy, the Eagles' Hotel California is playing in background, pierced by the chopping roar of the helicopter blades. Coppola is slated to direct my reverie.

Go figure.

Keefie (left) & me at a recent Caps v. Caines game.

4 comments:

  1. OMG I will take up embroidery if I can find some wood grain fabric, it is Ab fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the wood grain fabric lady! where'd you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, all! Ellen, I got the fabric at a local quilt shop. It's Michael Miller. Need to score some more!

    ReplyDelete