Sunday, February 13, 2011

First attempt for thread sketches, self portrait

I'm making my first thread sketches for my self portrait based on the photo in my previous post


I've already learned so much.  The same aspects of my aging face that annoy me in my 3D life actually excite me in terms of drawing and stitching.  The nasal-labial folds, the little lines under my eyes, the small bump on the bridge of my nose and that weird little dimple in the middle of my chin... these things actually make my face more interesting.


I find myself thinking that, without these imperfections, I would actually kind of have a boring face!


This is just a sketch.  Using 2 strands of DMC black floss on light gray Kona Cotton (backed with white muslin.) Lots of details to add, still, in single strands of floss. Feeling oddly grateful for my little wrinkles.

I'm disappointed that it is so hard for me to blog during they work week.  By the time I get home it is so dark and, while I can work on stuff, it is hard to photograph.  As Spring comes and the day light lasts longer, I will hopefully overcome that.

In addition to the self portraiture, I'm hoping to start a Springtime Biohazard series.  Oh, when will I win the lottery!?

2 comments:

  1. I'm such a fan of sketch work, especially translated to stitching. This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a beautiful face, and this is looking lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete